There is Two tips to avoid Craigslist ads flagged, firstly Craigslist is a simple posting website that allows its users to put up ads for other users and site visitors to check. These ads are very simple compared to other posting or ad sites. Not all posts are reliable though, as there have been reported and observed cases of fraud and scammers using the posting site to their advantage.
The very users that are part of the community also monitor the user-generated content of Craigslist. Users can flag posts that they deem inappropriate, unreliable or suspect of fraudulence. Users can click the “prohibited” button and it will flag the post as inappropriate.
To avoid Craigslist ads flagged here are some useful tips.
Tip # 1 – Avoid posting ads that involve the prohibited list of items, services and content. Listed below are the items that are prohibited in Craigslist based on the website itself:
- Weapons and ammunition, such as firearms/guns and components, bullets, stunners, spears etc.
- Recalled items, hazardous materials, and body parts or fluids
- Controlled substances such as prescription drugs, medical devices
- Alcohol or tobacco; unpackaged or adulterated food or cosmetic
- Child pornography; bestiality; offers or solicitation of illegal prostitution
- Pet sales (with the exception of adoption, with small adoption fee ok), animal parts, stud service
- Endangered and/or protected animals or any part derived from them (ex. ivory)
- Fraudulent content and false, misleading, deceptive content; bait and switch; keyword spam
- Offensive, obscene, defamatory, threatening, or malicious postings or email
- Private information of other people — personal, identifying, confidential or proprietary information, including official documents
You may access the complete list of prohibited items in this link:
It is important to note the principle behind the prohibition of certain materials. Users might flag anything that can possibly be a violation of existing laws and norms. The tricky part is making sure that users do not take your post as falling under one of those prohibited items.
Tip # 2 – Practice conscientious posting, be clear and qualify what you need.
The clearer you are about what you are offering the users, the lesser the probability of being flagged. Make your post detailed as possible. You can include photos to give clearer descriptions of the items.
Qualify what you are posting by stating what are and are not included in your items or services for sale. You can put disclaimers and put guarantees, provided you can guarantee those. If you are posting an ad for sale of items, make a list of the items included. You can also describe what the item is for so users will not mistake the usage of the item for something else.
Lastly but most importantly, make sure you post conscientiously. The rules are put into place to protect both you and the other users from fraudulent and malicious content. To keep the integrity of your post high, make sure you are posting items and services that are not prohibited and will not harm other users.